• Cleaning Your Yoga Mat

Posted on September 23, 2009 by in All Posts, Yoga FAQ, Yoga Tips

After a few hot yoga classes your mat might lose that New Mat Smell.  Okay, truthfully, it might be down right stinky.  These are my preferred methods.

yoga matsHOMEMADE CLEANERS: for light washing periodically, maybe even after every hot yoga class to maintain a fresh, functional mat.  Just spray, wipe and hang to dry.  Here is what I use:  To a 32 ounce spray bottle add 1 cup vinegar.  Fill the rest with water and add 15-25 drops of your favorite essential oils.  You can also add 1 tablespoon castile soap or mild detergent (optional).  Experiment with your essential oil blends.  Just know that essential oils are extremely strong and only a very small amount is needed.  Tea Tree oil is perfect because of its antibacterial properties.  Lavender and Thyme are also wonderful.  Another combination I like is equal parts rosemary, clove, eucalyptus, cinnamon and lemon essential oils.  According to stories, this mix was used by a group of thieves who robbed the dead and dying victims of the bubonic plague.  The robbers did not contract the infection and for this reason the blend is known as the Theives Blend.  Added bonus – it smells wonderful!  A very simple homemade cleaner would be water and Thieves Blend only.*

WASHING MACHINE: Most people don’t realize you can wash your yoga mat this way.  I do it every 2-3 months.  Use cold water and don’t over do it with the detergent.  Stop the machine before the spin cycle.  Hang your mat and allow to dry completely.*

*Some mats are made of different materials (rubber, jute, etc.) and require special care.  Always check the care instructions when you purchase a yoga mat.

Also, I’d like to add that vinegar in the rinse cycle is great for getting that sweat smell out of your yoga clothes and towels.  You just have to run an extra rinse cycle at the end.  Baking soda added at the beginning of the wash cycle also works wonders.

Here’s to a happy, healthy yoga mat and practice!

11 Responsesso far.

1. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by lindsayyoga: Yoga Tips: How to Clean Your Yoga Mat http://bit.ly/dIwqK

2. tee tree oil says:

Useful information there

3. Yoga Tops says:

Hi,
    The catch is to wash the mat everday . Just a simple wipe with a clean towel will go a long way.

4. Thanks for the comments. Hanging to dry is also key. A simple spray of water with a few drops of tea tree oil added, a wipe and hang to dry after a class works wonders! :)

5. Vevster says:

I just sprayed my mat w/ thieves n water and hung it to dry. I will do the machine wash this weekend.

6. Yeah good tips, I would agree with yoga tops, it’s probably better to wash regularly..
    .-= Bracknell Cleaning´s last blog ..Storing Clothes and Textiles =-.

7. Suzan Bomkes says:

Thank you very muc – really usefull and interesting! I was wondering – can i contact you personally to have more detailed explanation?

8. PUCKETT says:

Interesting post.

9. Akhira says:

I don't have that much issue on my mat since I wash  it manually like scrubbing it slight with a soft edged brush then apply some detergent soap and rinse thoroughly until I can no longer see visible stain then hang it over so that it will effectively be dry.

10. Ryan says:

Great tips! and so simple, I'm a beginner in yoga and have two new yoga mats I cant wait to try this on, thank you :)

11. Appreciate this post. Will try it out.

My web-site przynajmniej raz